Museums in Porto
Although Porto is a relatively small city, it houses several museums and art galleries well worth visiting.
Most important museums in Porto
- The Museu Nacional Soares dos Reis is the oldest public museum in Portugal and the most-visited in Porto. It features an impressive collection of paintings and sculptures.
- The Serralves Foundation is a renowned cultural institution with a lush and elegant garden. It houses the Museum of Contemporary Art, among other buildings.
- Trams have played an important role in the history of Porto. Nevertheless, there are very few trams left in nowadays. The Tram Museum in Porto (Museu do Carro Eléctrico) features interesting photos, original uniforms, restored machinery and various trams from different periods.
- The Military Museum of Porto features a collection of arms, uniforms, military equipment and most importantly, thousands of miniatures. Its miniature collection is considered one of the most important in the world.
- The Romantic Museum in Porto (Museu Romântico da Quinta da Macieirinha) is where Charles Albert of Sardinia died in exile. The house has been redecorated in a nineteenth century style.
- This eighteenth century Baroque-styled palace belonged to Guerra Junqueiro, Portuguese writer and poet and has been transformed into a museum. It features all the articles he wrote throughout his life.
If you want to visit these museums and other attractions for free or enjoy interesting discounts, we recommend you check out the Porto Card.