The Praça da Liberdade (Liberty Square) is Porto’s main square and it connects the old town with the modern part of the city.
In the middle of the Praça is a 10-meter bronze equestrian statue of King Peter IV from 1862. The King holds the Constitution in his hands and shows it to the people, itself a symbol of the King since he fought to protect it during the Liberal Wars.
At one end of Liberdade Square is Porto’s main artery, Avenida dos Aliados. It is flanked by modernist buildings from the beginning of the twentieth century, like the Town Hall and some of the city’s banks. This Avenue is also packed with restaurants including a McDonalds, with an interesting Modernist façade to blend in with the rest of the buildings.