Best Neighborhoods and Streets in Porto
Discover the main districts in Porto and the things to do and see in each one:
- Praça da Liberdade is located in the heart of Porto and is considered one of the liveliest areas of the city. At the other end is Porto’s main artery called Avenidos dos Aliados.
- Rua Santa Catarina (Santa Catarina Street) is one of the main shopping streets in Porto. As well as numerous stores, it also houses pretty cafés, including the famous Café Majestic.
- Ribeira is on the city’s waterfront. It is one of the prettiest areas to go for a walk and discover the authentic Porto. This area is also packed with typical restaurants.
- Although it is often believed to be part of Porto, Vila Nova de Gaia or simply Gaia is a city in Porto district, located on the other side of the Douro. The famous cellars and wineries are found on this side of the River.
- Foz do Douro is on the seafront, on the Atlantic coast. It has a charming promenade with two fortifications worth visiting: São João Baptista Fort and Fort of São Francisco do Queijo.