The cafés, theatres and even the stations of Porto buzz with alternative energy. See the cultural side of the city with this free tour!
Alternative Porto Free Tour
The tour begins at 3 pm alongside the Garrett Monument, next to the Town Hall. Just a few metres away, you'll find the São Bento station, considered one of the most beautiful train stations in the world! Inside you'll be stunned by the beautiful collection of tiles which recreate scenes from Portugal's long history.
Then it's on to two spots which are fundamental to the bohemian and culltural fabric of the city: Café A Brasileira and the Teatro Sá da Bandeira - both favourites of important Portuguese artists. And just around the corner, we'll find the Don Juan I Square, where you can see the art deco façade of another icon: the Rivoli Theatre. Its halls have played host to everything from opera to cinema of the most avant-garde.
The Popular Mercado do Bolhão market is our next stop which, as you'll see, conserves its traditional charm of yesteryear. As does the nearby Café Majestic. Passing through the streets near this prestigious and refined café, we'll arrive at Cine Batalha.
Making our way to the Cathedral neighbourhood, we'll cross the Douro River on the Puente de Don Luis I Bridge. The tour finishes at the Gaia Cable Car Viewpoint. And those who want to can cross back over the river in one of its cabins (not included).
- This free tour of Porto does not accept bookings for more than 6 people. If you are a larger group, check out our private tour of Porto.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 15 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
2 hours 30 minutes.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english.
English speaking guide specialist in the history of Porto.
Ticket for the Gaia cable car (from € 6 (US$ 7.20)).
When to book?
You can book up to the start time, as long as there are places remaining. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.
Garrett Monument, by the Town Hall